Aberaeron-is-a-colourful-town-with-no-hills!.jpgAberaeron-is-a-pretty-little-town-with-a-harbour-and-is-not-at-all-hilly!.jpgYou-can-walk-to-Llanerchaeron-(National-Trust)-along-the-old-railway-line.jpg

Aberaeron

Lovely old Georgian harbour town

Aberaeron is a lovely old Georgian harbour town although it has no ancient history as a seaport. It dates only from the beginning of the 19th Century when it was the dream port of one man - his name was Alban Jones Lewis Gwynne, squire of Tyglyn a few miles up the Aeron valley. In his imagination he saw ships going away with butter and cheese, the produce of the fertile Aeron valley and returning with the wines of France, the timber from the Baltic and household goods from Bristol. There were no good roads for trade with England in those days.

Everything had to come and go by sea. As the years went by, his dream materialised. He paid good wages and these attracted shipwrights from Aberystwyth and Aberarth. Stonemasons to build his quays and ship-loads of Irish labourers to do the navvy work flocked to his service.

His new town had to be a model town with wide streets and dignified buildings. Nothing shoddy or sub-standard was to be allowed. At each corner of the square, the house or building had to be a model of the best architecture of the day. And so the town took shape. Skilled blacksmiths, Thomas 'y go', set up his forge beside the Aeron, the river was diverted to flow into the sea direct and William Green, skilled mason from Aberystwyth directed the building of his quays.

When the harbour was made safe from storms, trade boomed and the town expanded in new streets like Wellington Street, Victoria Street, Princes Street and Waterloo Street (Welshmen were loyal subjects of the Crown in those days). Masons Row housed the Stonemasons, Vulcan Place housed the Smiths, and Bedlam Barracks, on the seashore housed the Irish labourers.

Today, the town retains its spacious dignity. Inspite of the lack of a sandy beach, its appeal to the family visitor remains, year after year and the quiet waters of its harbour attract the sailing man whether his interest is yachting or power boat sailing. Fishing for trout or sewin attracts the angler and, for the walker is the delightful stroll along the wooded Aeron.

Also nearby are

Llanerchaeron a rare survivor of a late 18th c Welsh country estate now owned by the National Trust. The fine house was built by neo classical architect John Nash between 1794 and 1796 and is the most complete example of his early work. There is a service wing in a courtyard with two kitchens, a larder, a laundry, a dairy, a brewery and a salting house. The extensive range of farm buildings including stables, stock sheds, threshing barns and stone rick stands together with two large walled gardens complete with a range of glass houses which makes Llanerchaeron so special.

Llanerchaeron is today a working organic farm and the walled gardens produce fruit, herbs and vegetables. The estate park has fine views over the surrounding countryside.
The house, walled gardens, home farm and extensive grounds are open to visitors. Llanerchaeron also houses a collection of fine Georgian treen and glassware.

Gwinllan Ffynnon Las Vineyard situated north of the 52nd parallel but has produced surprisingly good wine. The grapes are in October and the wine produced under contract at the Three Choirs Vineyard, Gloucestershire. Ffynnon Las wine has a refreshing flowery nose and a clean, crisp gooseberry-apple tang. It is particularly good with fish and salads. Free wine-tasting.

Guest Comments

Nov 2015 Perfect house with excellent views. A family reunion with 4 generations, everyone loved Park Hall with lots to do inside and out, very well equipped with everything you need for a break away for all ages. The booking was simple and straightforward with fantastic communication with Carol and Roger. All the rooms were lovely and comfortable and the bedrooms had fantastic views. I can't recommend Park Hall enough.

View All

From the Gallery

Contact Park Hall

Telephone: 01545560996
Email:
parkhall.office@gmail.com

Address: Park Hall, Cwmtydu, Llwyndafydd, Llandysul, SA44 6LQ

f_logo30x30.pngwifi.png